Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg, MD, FACS, FASCRS
Founder of The Sternberg Clinic for Pilonidal Surgery
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeffrey Sternberg, MD, FACS, FASCRS, is a highly skilled, board-certified surgeon best known for his innovative treatment of pilonidal disease (often incorrectly called a pilonidal cyst), a painful skin and tissue infection near the tailbone. Since starting surgical practice in San Francisco in 2000, Dr. Sternberg has treated over 1,500 cases of pilonidal disease , and his surgical protocol cures nearly 100% of his patients, with few requiring second operations. Many of his patients have developed a recurrence after prior surgery elsewhere: approximately 40% of Dr. Sternberg’s pilonidal patients have had prior failed operation from other surgeons, and 40% of Dr. Sternberg’s pilonidal patients come from elsewhere in the US, Canada, and other continents for surgery.
His specialties also include disease of the colon and gastrointestinal tract; treating colo-rectal conditions such as fistula, abscess, fissure, and hemorrhoids; and other same-day surgical or office based conditions.
Dr. Sternberg is the former medical director of The San Fransisco Endoscopy Center; he has served as the surgical director of the Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases at California Pacific Medical Center and is a clinical assistant professor of surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. Elected by his peers to leadership positions in the profession, he is a past president of the Northern California Chapter of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery. The Northern California Chapter of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation has selected Dr. Sternberg for the 2018 Champion of Hope Award.
Dr. Sternberg completed an AB in biochemistry at Dartmouth College, where he graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. Dr. Sternberg trained in general surgery at Harvard University’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and went on to complete a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at the University of Minnesota. He is double board-certified in general and colon and rectal surgery.
After the University of Chicago, Dr. Sternberg moved to Boston for an 8-year residency in General Surgery at Harvard University’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. While there, he participated in molecular biology research and completed fellowship training in Surgical Nutrition. Dr. Sternberg’s completed his formal medical education with a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at the esteemed University of Minnesota.
Dr. Sternberg has been practicing at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco since graduating fellowship in 2000. He has developed extensive expertise in the screening and treatment of benign and malignant colorectal disease and a broad range of gastrointestinal conditions. As an academically trained surgeon, he is highly skilled in laparoscopic surgery and other minimally invasive surgical techniques such as laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair, but since 2017, Dr. Sternberg has chosen to concentrate on office based and outpatient practice and no longer performs major abdominal operations or laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Sternberg has become internationally known for his expertise in treating pilonidal disease, a chronic infection of the skin and underlying tissue near the tailbone that typically affects teens and young adults (20s/30s), and has been instrumental in advancing a highly-effective approach for treating pilonidal disease known as the ‘Cleft Lift Procedure.’ Dr. Sternberg also writers articles dedicated to the surgical treatment of pilonidal disease.
Dr. Sternberg has been active in the leadership of California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) and was elected by his peers to CPMC’s Medical Executive Committee. He also has served as the Surgical Director of the CPMC Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases and is a past Medical Director of the San Francisco Endoscopy Center. Dr. Sternberg has held national leadership positions in the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and is a past President of the Northern California Chapter of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. In his abiding professional commitment to patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Dr. Sternberg remains an advisor to the Northern California Chapter of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation and was honored by them in 2018 as a Champion of Hope.
Family and Non-Surgical Interests
Dr. Sternberg values family life with his wife Anne and their 2 young children. He enjoys coaching his son’s soccer team, is an avid cook, and loves skiing, hiking, and the outdoors.
Training and Experience
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College
- Magna Cum Laude, Dartmouth College
- Rufus Choate Scholar, Dartmouth College
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation Champion of Hope, 2018
General Surgery Residency
- Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Pilonidal Disease
- Anorectal Disease
- Benign and Malignant Soft Tissue Tumors
- Colonoscopy – Colorectal Cancer Screening
- California Pacific Medical Center
- Presidio Surgery Center
- San Francisco Endoscopy Center
- University of Minnesota, Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Harvard Medical School, Surgical Nutrition
Read success stories from surgery patients
- Get your Pilonidal Disease treated by an expertYou would think that surgeons would be more willing to refer when they’re out of their comfort zone Andrew is a college student who aspires to be a doctor. Hours of study made the pilonidal abscess that he had sinceContinue reading “Get your Pilonidal Disease treated by an expert”
- Surgeons, Don’t Do That. Please!Lori is a vibrant woman in her 20s who lives in the Southwest of the United Sates. In her late teens she began to develop Pilonidal Disease. Abscesses would flare a few times a year. They would swell, pop, andContinue reading “Surgeons, Don’t Do That. Please!”
- ‘I’m overwhelmed with relief ‘Thanks to Dr. Sternberg I have a new shot at a normal life. For five years I had to deal with a never ending leaking wound on my backside that never went away, until now. From start to finish, everyContinue reading “‘I’m overwhelmed with relief ‘”
Contact our San Francisco Office
To learn more about treating your Pilonidal Disease with surgery and the Cleft Lift procedure, contact our office staff for information or to schedule an appointment.
Did Dr. Sternberg treat your pilonidal disease? Submit a Patient Testimonial
Mon – Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Member of ASCRS, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation,
American College of Surgeons, and Pilonidal Support Alliance