Dr. Jeffrey Sternberg, MD, FACS, FASCRS
Founder of The Sternberg Clinic for Pilonidal Surgery
Email me: email@example.com
Jeffrey Sternberg, MD, FACS, FASCRS, is a highly skilled, board-certified surgeon best known for his innovative treatment of pilonidal disease (often incorrectly called a pilonidal cyst), a painful skin and tissue infection near the tailbone. Since starting surgical practice in San Francisco in 2000, Dr. Sternberg has treated over 1,500 cases of pilonidal disease , and his surgical protocol cures nearly 100% of his patients, with few requiring second operations. Many of his patients have developed a recurrence after prior surgery elsewhere: approximately 40% of Dr. Sternberg’s pilonidal patients have had prior failed operation from other surgeons, and 40% of Dr. Sternberg’s pilonidal patients come from elsewhere in the US, Canada, and other continents for surgery.
His specialties also include disease of the colon and gastrointestinal tract; performing colonoscopies; treating colo-rectal conditions such as fistula, abscess, fissure, and hemorrhoids; and other same-day surgical or office based conditions.
Dr. Sternberg is the former medical director of The San Fransisco Endoscopy Center; he has served as the surgical director of the Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases at California Pacific Medical Center and is a clinical assistant professor of surgery at the University of California, San Francisco. Elected by his peers to leadership positions in the profession, he is a past president of the Northern California Chapter of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery. The Northern California Chapter of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation has selected Dr. Sternberg for the 2017 Champion of Hope Award.
Dr. Sternberg completed an AB in biochemistry at Dartmouth College, where he graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. Dr. Sternberg trained in general surgery at Harvard University’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and went on to complete a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at the University of Minnesota. He is double board-certified in general and colon and rectal surgery.
After the University of Chicago, Dr. Sternberg moved to Boston for an 8-year residency in General Surgery at Harvard University’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. While there, he participated in molecular biology research and completed fellowship training in Surgical Nutrition. Dr. Sternberg’s completed his formal medical education with a fellowship in colon and rectal surgery at the esteemed University of Minnesota.
Dr. Sternberg has been practicing at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco since graduating fellowship in 2000. He has developed extensive expertise in the screening and treatment of benign and malignant colorectal disease and a broad range of gastrointestinal conditions. As an academically trained surgeon, he is highly skilled in laparoscopic surgery and other minimally invasive surgical techniques such as laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair, but since 2017, Dr. Sternberg has chosen to concentrate on office based and outpatient practice and no longer performs major abdominal operations or laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Sternberg has become internationally known for his expertise in treating pilonidal disease, a chronic infection of the skin and underlying tissue near the tailbone that typically affects teens and young adults (20s/30s), and has been instrumental in advancing a highly-effective approach for treating pilonidal disease known as the ‘Cleft Lift Procedure.’ Dr. Sternberg also writers articles dedicated to the surgical treatment of pilonidal disease.
Dr. Sternberg has been active in the leadership of California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC) and was elected by his peers to CPMC’s Medical Executive Committee. He also has served as the Surgical Director of the CPMC Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases and is a past Medical Director of the San Francisco Endoscopy Center. Dr. Sternberg has held national leadership positions in the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and is a past President of the Northern California Chapter of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. In his abiding professional commitment to patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Dr. Sternberg remains an advisor to the Northern California Chapter of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation and was honored by them in 2017 as a Champion of Hope.
Family and Non-Surgical Interests
Dr. Sternberg values family life with his wife Anne and their 2 young children. He enjoys coaching his son’s soccer team, is an avid cook, and loves skiing, hiking, and the outdoors.
Training and Experience
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa, Dartmouth College
- Magna Cum Laude, Dartmouth College
- Rufus Choate Scholar, Dartmouth College
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation Champion of Hope, 2018
General Surgery Residency
- Harvard’s Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
- Pilonidal Disease
- Anorectal Disease
- Benign and Malignant Soft Tissue Tumors
- Colonoscopy – Colorectal Cancer Screening
- California Pacific Medical Center
- Presidio Surgery Center
- San Francisco Endoscopy Center
- University of Minnesota, Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Harvard Medical School, Surgical Nutrition
Read success stories from surgery patients
- ‘I couldn’t believe that my life was back to normal’I am a 24-year-old recovered patient from the Cleft Lift procedure. I first found out I had Pilonidal Disease when I was 19 and it was definitely some weird news to me (I got the Cleft Lift when I wasContinue reading “‘I couldn’t believe that my life was back to normal’”
- ‘Highly effective’: Recommendation from a patient of 20 yearsI have been a patient of Dr. Sternberg for roughly 20 years and always found him to be very professional, knowledgeable with a wonderful demeanor. This also goes for his office staff. All my procedures and treatments have been asContinue reading “‘Highly effective’: Recommendation from a patient of 20 years”
- Thanks from a Cured High School StudentAfter our daughter endured three failed surgeries by other providers to treat her pilonidal disease and missed nearly a year of high school, we turned to Dr. Sternberg. Our daughter was so worried that a Cleft Lift would radically changeContinue reading “Thanks from a Cured High School Student”
Contact The Sternberg Clinic for a Consultation
Contact our San Francisco Office
To learn more about treating your Pilonidal Disease with surgery and the Cleft Lift procedure, contact our office staff for information or to schedule an appointment.
Did Dr. Sternberg treat your pilonidal disease? Submit a Patient Testimonial
Mon – Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Member of ASCRS, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation,
American College of Surgeons, and Pilonidal Support Alliance